Mead Public Library Board Minutes
January 21, 2019
Members Present: Viki Miller (2020), Jennie Grasiani (2022), Jennifer Lee (2022) and Layla Giorgakopoulos (2022)
Absent: Paulette Mayfield (2020)
Library Staff Present: Director Laurie Van Ackeren and Librarian Mary Mayfield
- Call to Order at 535pm. Miller advised of the Open Meeting Act posted on the west wall.
- Visitors – Jackie Petersen, Chairman of The Friends of the Mead Public Library
- Staff Reports –Librarian Mayfield explained the new, ongoing program 1000 Books Before Kindergarten and advised the library received a $400.00 grant to help fund the program. Director Van Ackeren advised of November statistics: Attendance was 168 (99 adults, 69 juveniles), 50 materials were checked out through Overdrive, 167 materials were circulated from the library and member amount saved was $1,927.00. Coffee Hour (averaging 4 adults), Book Club (8 members), and Story Time (averaging 10 children per week) continue to be popular programs. December statistics: Attendance was 175 (97 adults, 78 juveniles), 88 materials were checked out through Overdrive, 120 materials were circulated from the library and member amount saved was $1,426.00. The second annual Welcome Winter event was held and 21 children attended. Coffee Hour averaged 4 adults and Story Time averaged 9 children per week. Van Ackeren will be attending a seminar in Fairmont, NE on January 24 therefore the library will be closed that day. Van Ackeren reported the Holiday Sale that was sponsored by the Friends of the Mead Library, made $192.00 profit and advised the annual Public Library Survey (formerly known as Bibliostat) was submitted and approved by the NE Library Commission.
- Board Member Reports – none
- Approval of Minutes, Bills and Financials, and Monthly Report for November 2018 and December 2018 – Motion by Lee, Second by Grasiani , Motion carried.
- Business Items
- Jackie Peterson advised the Sloppy Joe Fundraiser was a success and she will have more information after the Friends of the Mead Library meeting on Tuesday, January 22, 2019.
- Motion by Grasiani to pay Ronnie Novak $100.00 for removal of toilet/sink and replacement of ceiling tiles in closet, Second by Giorgakopoulos. Motion carried.
- Review of Finance Policy – revisions will be made by Director Van Ackeren and distributed to board members. Motion by Miller, Second by Giorgakopoulos, Motion carried.
- Discussion of Responsibilities of Librarians/Director was reviewed and revised.
- Per Library Board request, Van Ackeren canvased the Saunders County Libraries regarding their outdoor flag procedures. A Mead resident purchased a new all-weather flag to donate in memory of her dad who served in the military with the intention the flag will be flown 24/7.
- Motion to Adjourn at 702pm by Lee, Second by Giorgakopoulos, Motion carried
Next meeting will be Monday, February 18, 2019 at 530pm